Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Clam Mother Load

As I was walking the isles of my local Sam's Club the other day, I came across these unnecessarily large cans of chopped sea clams. I took notice because they were about half the price of what I'm used to paying for 1/3 the amount of clams. So I had to do it!!! Home I went with the mother load of clams...

White Clam Sauce with Angel Hair

I love the green onions sauteed in smooth velvety butter with a hint of the salty sea from the clams. I quickly dipped one side of some foccacia bread into the olive oil broth and broiled it for a few seconds, until the bread formed a nice crust. You'll definitely want some sort of crusty bread to soak up all the juices.
I hope you enjoy our family favorite too!

Ingredients:
half a stick of butter
2-3 bunches of diced green onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 c. olive oil
1/2 c. dry white wine (optional)
1 TBS. chicken base
1 (8oz.) bottle of clam juice
3 cans of chopped or minced clams
parsley
pinch of sugar
cracked pepper
angel hair pasta
parmesan cheese

Directions:
-Cook the pasta
-In a sauce pan, melt the butter and saute the onion until soft
-Add the garlic, chicken base, clam juice, wine, olive oil, and oregano. Bring to a simmer.
-Once simmering add a pinch of sugar, to taste.
-Add the parsley, clams, and cracked pepper.
-Bring to a simmer again, just until the sauce is warm. You don't want to overcook the clams.
-Serve over pasta and sprinkle with parmesan.

1 comment:

  1. It looks delicious! Derek was just saying last night how much he loves clams. I will definitely have to make this for him!;)

    ReplyDelete